Monday, November 15, 2004

America makes war in Iraq

This just cannot be!? Can it? Not my country! Sadly, yes



In a dispatch quoted below, an AP photographer describes a harrowing journey fleeing American wrath against the city of Fallujah in Iraq.

"I decided to swim ... but I changed my mind after seeing U.S. helicopters firing on and killing people who tried to cross the river."

He watched horrified as a family of five was shot dead as they tried to cross. Then, he "helped bury a man by the river bank, with my own hands."

"I kept walking along the river for two hours and I could still see some U.S. snipers ready to shoot anyone who might swim. I quit the idea of crossing the river and walked for about five hours through orchards."
Somehow this evokes scenes of the worst totalitarian discipline against people trying to flee communist Eastern Europe during the Cold War. How can they call it freedom?